Tuesday, May 10, 2016

DM Notes From The Crypt

I found this fucking ancient questionnaire Zak did and I thought I'd do it since I was working on something about running games and this reminded me of it.

1. If you had to pick a single invention in a game you were most proud of what would it be? Probably my loot and crit decks I built, except I think I need to make new ones. I use both a lot at the table.

2. When was the last time you GMed? Ten days ago, VDND, Whiskeyworld. It was busy.

3. When was the last time you played? 8 days ago, VDND, Dark Sun. I was a Dragon Quest slime.

4. Give us a one-sentence pitch for an adventure you haven't run but would like to. Like the whole campaign is about adventurers getting Honey I Shrunk The Kids'd.

5. What do you do while you wait for players to do things? Either describe things further, have a person nearby chat them up and/or pressure a decision, any decision, or simply let them know we're going to do other things with the other players until they come up with something cool. If everyone is hopelessly dithering I flip around for a cool monster to have show up.

6. What, if anything, do you eat while you play? I usually eat very little but drink a lot of caffeine. We often break for pizza with my groups. I prefer eating real food before and after and getting by on like cookies and shit during, if anything.

7. Do you find GMing physically exhausting? Never during, always after, partly because of the above.

8. What was the last interesting (to you, anyway) thing you remember a PC you were running doing? Getting a feel for a person's general moral fibre and trustworthiness by investigating the hearth of the fireplace at the heart of the house.
 
9. Do your players take your serious setting and make it unserious? Vice versa? Neither? Treating the world like there aren't any stakes never feels very fun but whether someone is really invested in their lore or just trying to shock you it usually elevates the stakes somehow. I love cutting up at the table and am very permissive to a point but when someone goes out on their own and tries to rub their character all over the texture of the world I do pretty much anything to accommodate them.

10. What do you do with goblins? Keep them in back as a general threat unseen, until used. Then everything.

11. What was the last non-RPG thing you saw that you converted into game material (background, setting, trap, etc.)? Indigo snakes will just beat the monkeyshit out of their prey against rocks and trees.

12. What's the funniest table moment you can remember right now? I don't know about funniest exactly but my go to story for this is when the party tried to attack a trio of dragons in their walking house and accidentally started a dragon orgy and then the dragons fucked the house.

13. What was the last game book you looked at--aside from things you referenced in a game--why were you looking at it? Absolutely Towers Two because I wanted it inside me.

14. Who's your idea of the perfect RPG illustrator? As someone who just wants to see that kind of art in rpg books maybe Bill Sienkewicz or uhhh Goseki Kojima's team?

15. Does your game ever make your players genuinely afraid? I don't know that rpgs can? Disgusted, angry, tense, sad, happy, excited, even horny, I've seen all of these but never what I think of as real fear. "Creeped out" at best.

16. What was the best time you ever had running an adventure you didn't write? (If ever) Pearce Shea's In the Woods.

17. What would be the ideal physical set up to run a game in? Outside by a fire on a windless, bugless night in October, on a custom-built table, somewhere where we can be as loud or nude as we feel like.

18. If you had to think of the two most disparate games or game products that you like what would they be? I'll say LotFP and Feng Shui since they're very different in most respects and I like both of them.

19. If you had to think of the most disparate influences overall on your game, what would they be? In my current 5e game it's probably Mad Max and the Goetia.

20. As a GM, what kind of player do you want at your table? Someone who takes ridiculously good notes because I do not.

21. What's a real life experience you've translated into game terms? Personal failure.

22. Is there an RPG product that you wish existed but doesn't? Rollr, the Tindr for people who want to play a game, any game, right now. Would require a hobby like 300x the size to be profitable.

23. Is there anyone you know who you talk about RPGs with who doesn't play? How do those conversations go? I used to do this for a living and it always went really well, but it went better when I could get them into an open organized play event. Outside of that I talk about this sort of thing with...Joe? Who wants to try it but never can for overwhelming family reasons.